Sunday 30 September 2012

When was the last time you....?

This question is one that I ask myself when trying a new gluten free food. Today was no exception.  For the first time in I don't know how long, I ate a doughnut. And not only one, several in fact and it was good!

I recently discovered that my local Woolies had a few new items in their Macro Gluten Free range of baking mixes.  The new addition that I tried today was a cinnamon doughnut mix.

Whilst the doughnuts themselves were very easy to make, by mixing all of the ingredients together, deep fry in small batches, dredge in the cinnamon sugar whilst still warm then devour.
I did find that ensuring they were properly cooked through was a bit more of a challenge.  The total time of cooking according to the directions was two and a half minutes.
When I tried one of the doughnuts from the first batch, they were a little on the doughy side and needed more cooking.  So I cooked the second batch a little longer.  Still did not seem quite right.
Then the third batch a little smaller in size, despite the instruction telling me to use a dessert spoon to drop the little amounts of dough mixture into the hot oil and cooked for a bit longer again.  These were great  however I was certain that they could be better if really small.  So I halved the amount of the mixture that I was dropping into the oil. These small doughnuts were just as cooked as the third batch but still appeared to be too moist.  Maybe it was just me?  The oil was not the right temperature, who knows?  My husband and I still enjoyed eating them.

Now they have cooled and when breaking each doughnut open to see what they are like on the inside, they a prefectly cooked through and have a really light, fluffy texture, unlike the traditional type of doughnut I remember from Donut King as a child.  This is why I did not think they were right!  They just needed to cool down a little.

So all in all, these doughnuts are delicious and encredibly more-ish as I have nearly eaten the whole lot.  They will make a perfect breakfast tomorrow morning for the public holiday Monday that all Sydney-siders are enjoying this spring.  Now off for a run......

No comments:

Post a Comment