Wednesday 14 November 2012

GF Anzac Biscuits


This afternoon I tried for the first time Rowie’s Anzac biscuits.  They are fantastic!  So crunchy and nicely sweet but not too sweet.  They remind me so much of the Anzac biscuits that my siblings and I used to make as kids.
I have wondered recently how I would re-create Anzac biscuits gluten free seeing as though oats are a main ingredient.  In some countries, oats are classed as gluten free, such as the USA - this I discovered when buying muffins at Whole Foods in San Francisco.  These delicious looking gluten free muffins all had oats in them and were labelled gluten free - I was not really wanting to take the risk so by-passed them.
The Australian Coeliac Society does not endorse the thought that oats are gluten free.  The recommendation is that whilst some people may not have a reaction to oats, you need to trial eating a small amount over a three month period then have an endoscopy.  
I must admit that when I read this my heart jumped as I really do miss creamy, warm oats for breakfast on a wintery morning, but the thought of having another endoscopy to see if I had any small intestine damage was going a little too far for me.  So oats are off the menu.
Going back to the question of how to replace oats in Anzac biscuits, I had though rice flakes that had been soaked before use, as they are already very hard and I imagine that they would be harder after baking.  But the use of quinoa flakes in Rowie’s biscuits is fabulous!  
I cannot speak highly enough of the biscuits and cakes that Rowie’s Cakes produce - you must go to their factory in Marrickville in Sydney and buy one of each type of cake to try, you will not be disappointed!  But the Anzac biscuits are perfect for an afternoon treat with a cut of tea in the miserable weather that we have had lately.


Rowie’s Cakes
Australian Coeliac Society

No comments:

Post a Comment