Monday 25 March 2013

Gluten Free Hot Cross Buns



A treat that I always enjoy during the lead-up to Easter is hot cross buns.  I remember a number of years ago that I found a recipe for hot cross buns in a Nigella Lawson cook book and I decided that I would make these but gluten free.  What a disaster!

These hot cross buns did not rise, virtually at all, for the second rise before going into the oven.  This did not deter me, I put them in the oven regardless and was looking forward to the fluffy, fruity, cinnamon buns fresh from the oven with butter. 

Unfortunately when I pulled the tray from the oven I was not greeted by a tray of gorgeously fluffy hot cross buns as envisaged instead I had these hard rocks in the shape of a bun.  What a disappointing outcome.  I was heart broken, gone was my dream of enjoying the lovely delicious, cinnamon bun that I was missing so much.  

But as it turns out my dreams of gluten free hot cross buns that are delicious are a reality.  I have found the Choices Gluten Free Bakery here in Sydney have a range of gluten free hot cross buns that I enjoy each year.  I must confess that I do stock up a little to keep enjoying them beyond Easter as they keep well in the freezer.

Check out your local Choices Gluten Free Bakery or their website: 

2 comments:

  1. I have produced a few "bricks" in my time baking. Glad to see that i'm not the only one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always heartbreaking and frustrating!

    ReplyDelete