Monday 18 June 2012

Rockin' Red Rocket Cake

Last week a friend of mine, Danny, turned the ripe old age of 30-something and I decided, along with my other half, that it would be a fun idea to bake him a birthday cake with a difference! Hence the Red Rocket Cake.

I got the idea from a couple of kid's birthday cake recipe books, namely the famous Womans' Weekly Children's Birthday Cake book from the early '80s that I know I wanted many a cake from as a child.  
Children's birthday cakes these days are far more professional looking than the ones that we all had as kids.  Gone are the days of the Vienna Icing coloured with Queen food colouring from the supermarket.  These are now replaced with the ready to roll icing that is coloured expertly, using paste colours and a great number of tools.  
When investigating these more up-to-date ingredients and methods, I decided that I would stick to the 'old fashioned way of doing things'.

The cake that I baked to shape the rocket out of, was my mother's chocolate cake recipe.  This was a tradition in our family where she would bake the cake in a very 1970's ring mould and ice it.

I made a single batch of cake batter which allowed to me to make two small round cakes, these I fashioned into the shape of the rocket.  Frankly the icing could have turned out better, but for a first try and really making it up as I went along, I think that it was a pretty good effort.  And besides, it was delicious!

My Mum's Chocolate Cake

185g of melted unsalted butter
3/4 cup pure cocoa
1/2 cup of hot water
1 cup of milk
1 & 1/2 cups of white sugar
3 eggs
2 cups of gluten-free self-raising flour
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/2 teaspoon of gluten-free baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt

Cream the butter and the sugar, add the eggs one at a time.  Add the hot water to the cocoa in a jug and mix until smooth.  Add this to the mixture.  
Add the salt, soda, cream of tartar to the self-raising flour and sift together.
Add the flour to the mixture alternating with the milk.  Remember to finish the alternating with the milk for easy combining.

Bake in two large sponge tins in a moderate oven for 20 - 25 minutes.

I had a template to cut the base shape of the cake out from, then using chocolate ganache, I stuck all of the pieces of the cake together, cutting the shape of the rocket as I went.  I then coated the cake in the ganache.  This ganache is basically chocolate and cream melted and mixed together.  Leave it to cool before using or else it will be too runny.

Once the cake was at this stage, I let the ganache set whilst I made the Vienna Icing with a lot of red food colouring - not one for the kids!

Decorate the cake as desired with the icing and gluten-free goodies and enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment